Flimmit is a 100% cloud-based Video on Demand (VoD) service and currently offers over 4,000 movies in MPEG-DASH and HLS format. In summer 2014, ORF‘s (Austria’s national public broadcaster) subsidiaries ORF Enterprise and ORS comm became stakeholders of Flimmit. Bitmovin does the VOD encoding of over 4,000 video assets, the VoD streaming and the playback of these video assets on all devices and platforms.
What are the core challenges for Flimmit?
1. encode 4,000 video assets as fast as possible in highest quality to MPEG-DASH & HLS
2. cover all devices and all platforms (Desktop, Tablets, Smartphones, SmartTVs/HbbTV)
3. custom video player skinning (custom style, custom buttons, custom behavior)
Bitmovin’s Solution, Services and Products for VoD Transcoding and Streaming
Bitmovin provides industry leading VOD encoding and online streaming (OTT) solutions that enable high quality video streaming – live as well as on demand – over the web, guaranteeing smooth streaming without buffering and lowest startup delay with resolutions up to HD and 4K.
How could Bitmovin address the requirements of Flimmit?
- Bitmovin processed over 4,000 assets and encoded these assets in several weeks to MPEG-DASH and Apple HLS. Flimmit controlled the behavior of Bitmovin’s Cloud Encoding Service via the encoding API and used Bitmovin as one part of their video workflow.
- Flexible distribution over HTTP with Akamai – one of our CDN partners.
- The Bitmovin Adaptive Streaming HTML5 Player ensured the video and audio playback of the encoded content an all devices and platforms. With our skin generator, Flimmit styled Bitmovin for their individual demands and needs.
VoD Encoding with Bitmovin for Free
If you want to encode your content with MPEG-DASH and HLS you can use our Bitmovin encoding service that offers a free plan with 2.5GB encoding output per month. That’s great for testing and playing around with our encoding service.